[VB] Gas Cap VEnting problem?

Kevin Guarnotta kevin at guarnottadesign.com
Fri Oct 20 13:51:25 PDT 2017

Hi Guys,

This is for my '65.

I was driving around, needed gas. Filled it up - about 7 gallons.

Drove for a bit. (maybe 5 - 10 miles) got home. Went to park it - my driveway has a slight tilt, maybe 5 degrees (driver side high, passenger side low).

A few minutes later I smell gas - and I figure the tank must be pretty topped up, and maybe leaking out the cap. I open the cap - and WOW, it was like I got a gasoline ball thrown at me. Seemed to be at least a half gallon of gas spewed out, all over my arm, and the side of the bus etc.
It was a mess. I got a large bucket of soapy water, and poured it on everything - after closing the cap.

What would cause this? I know the gasket/seal on the gas cap is relatively new, and it is generally pretty tough to close the cap - as it is so tight. It is a rubber one. Without going through my notes - I put on a few years ago. I think these were originally cork, should I go back to the cork style.

-Kevin Guarnotta
Jamaica Plain, MA

'78 Westy
'69 Singlecab