[T2] Starter won't turn type2 Digest, Vol 47, Issue 10

J Rivers jrivers at globalserve.net
Tue Apr 25 11:11:58 PDT 2017

On Tue 25/04/17 12:24 , Patrick Ludvig patrickludvig at gmail.com sent:

Date: Sun, 9 May 2004 10:25:54 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Jamie Rivers"
 Subject: Re: [T2] Starter Question (fwd) Steve, Andy, Zack, Vincent et al I have been misunderstanding almost everyone on this issue. Seemed
like "Paul A" was the only guy that had it together,, maybe a bit tooo* much... but really? Who wants to fix a broken arm by leaving the old
one there and adding a clumsy system beside it?... having that attitude,, it is cheaper and it works! But,, That *IS* the way the world goes
around. Each to their own! :-) You know how the 009 saga went..... Ignition switch appears to give you the gears, put a pushbutton on the
dash,, while you worked on the wiring, you didn't even know you fixed the bad connections Starter appears Bad,, put on a WR-1 ,, same as
above Me,, for the most part,,, If your starter is bust, fix that. If your ground strap is bust,, fix that! If your battery is weak.. you
know what to do by now! and so on... I have seen sooooo many push button starters,, and WR-1 things that I revert back to stock wiring,
cleaning and tightening in the process,, and may or may not have to even replace anything to make it reliable again. If you want the year
from Hell every couple of years,, then go ahead, bandage with the WR-1 If you want to start making things last a decade of Hakuna Matata
maintenance free**, then clean up, tighten up and replace the old with good replacements*** Ay-ight do as you like,, make yourself happy,,,
get that bus started any way you can!! IT is TIME to be DRIVING ! Not fixin! Later when your fed up with the starter not working right
again.... http://www.type2.com/archive/type2/038677.html [copied below] Sorry about my attitude,,, I am lazy, and only like fixing things
once if I can help it. *

 I think "Paul A" says yearly on his starter maintenance,, but as I only drive mine from about April to October.. I do mine every decade.
**
What is maintenance Free,, LOL,, a marketing program to by a new battery every 5 years.. but you can have a much more regulated maintenance
schedule, when you want to, where you want to... instead of a breakdown on the side of the interstate, in the rain, while you are on a time
line,, *** this is the hard part...

what is a good replacement? So many parts these days do not last as long,,, for many reasons.... your kinda stuck on this one --
Jamie  Ontario Canada

From: "Paul A"  Starter Maintenance
It wasnt long after my wife and I started driving VW buses that I realized the starter is a problem area. I, like so many others, was
carrying a small hammer and short but thick jumper for when the starter would not turn over with a twist of the key. Since banging and
jumping the starter would revive it, I was convinced that there really wasnt anything wrong with it that couldnt be prevented. Now I perform
a yearly starter system maintenance routine that lets me prevent problems instead of just fixing them. The benefit of this is that I get to
deal with this on my terms; you know, during good weather, at a reasonable time of day, and in my own driveway Since there are different
starters for different buses, Ill just give you the basics of what I do and then let you apply it to your own situation. Consult the Bentley
manual for specific tests, and information about the various starters and of course follow all precautions for working on the electrical
system.

First is to disconnect and remove the battery. As always, disconnect the negative lead first and then the positive. Once the battery is out I
check it for cleanliness, condition and proper water level. I like to use a battery brush to clean the terminals on both the battery and
battery leads. Now is also a good time to check your battery tray for condition. Next disconnect and remove the starter.

If necessary, first mark the wires so that you will get them back on the proper terminals. Clean the terminal ends of all the wires
disconnected from the starter until they are shiny and clean. Take the starter to a work bench or someplace else clean, where you can work on
it. Disconnect the heavy lead that connects the starter to the solenoid, and clean the end of it. Next clean all of the terminals on the
solenoid until they are shiny and clean. I like to use a small brass wire brush for this. Now remove the solenoid and check the plunger for
condition and ease of movement. You should be able to push it in and have it spring back out smoothly. I wipe the plunger down with a little
light weight oil like WD-40 or LPS 1. With the plunger pushed all the way in, you should get continuity across the 2 large terminal studs on
the solenoid. Now its time to disassemble, clean, and inspect the starter. Be observant as you take it apart, so you will be able to
reassemble it. I do the following things to the starter; check the brushes for condition, remove and check the armature for condition, clean
the commutator using a piece of scotchbrite. Disassemble, clean, and inspect the drive mechanism parts, inspect the starter body and windings
for condition. Use compressed air or a vacuum cleaner to clean out the starter and windings. Repair or replace anything youve found wrong and
reassemble the whole thing. I use a little high temperature white lithium grease on the drive mechanism parts at reassembly. Now all thats
left is to intall and hook up the starter and battery. Remember, hook up the batterys positive lead and then the negative one. Hopefully,
youll have the same luck as me, and not have to deal with the starter for another year.

Paul AHuntington Station, New York71 westy