[VB] Would you buy a bus today?

Kevin Guarnotta kevin at guarnottadesign.com
Fri Oct 19 12:11:50 PDT 2018

Great question...

I've had many VW's. If I could get better heat, and probably more importantly - be able to drive them year round - then yes I would, at least I think I would.

Unfortunately living in the Northeast, it is a bit painful to park my VW's for long stretches of time - while the roads are salted. If I don't - they suffer the consequences.

They do check a lot of the boxes for me when looking for a daily driver - lots of room, I've got two kids. On of my kids, and I both play the cello. If we go away for a long weekend, I like to bring the cellos - if we do that in any other car, there is no more room. Also we used to have a dog, and hope to get another one soon. I like to have a car my whole family can fit in(dog and cellos included). I also like the idea of being able to fix the car myself, or at least having a clue what is going on with it. With a modern car - that seems to be nearly impossible.

Then again- when I see the prices of the old buses I am a bit shocked. I've actually started to look at Citroen DS wagons. They appear super roomy, I think they look great, and supposedly drive really nicely too.

We did and still do contemplate getting a vanagon, and selling the '78 Westy. I don't really want an automatic, but might be nice to go somewhere with my wife, and not have to do all the driving - as she gets too nervous driving a stick shift. I'd also appreciate a bit more power...

Then again, the smiles I get driving any of my buses are pretty nice way to live.

Sorry that is a bit of a rambling response, but that is how my mind goes when I think about my vw's.

-Kevin Guarnotta
Jamaica Plain, MA

'78 Westy
'69 Singlecab