[VB] Good News

Kevin Guarnotta kevin at guarnottadesign.com
Fri Aug 18 15:08:41 PDT 2017

OK, I have found a problem. A clearly identifiable problem.

I looked at the distributor, there was a tiny bit of wiggle in it, but it did not spin in the clamp. I went to look at the distributor on my '78. That one is rock solid, and does not move at all.

I went back to the distributor on the '65. I pulled it out. I spun it around, it seemed ok. I looked closely at the bottom of it - and found one of the washers at the bottom of the distributor appears to have broken apart. What this would cause, I do not know. But It is clearly an issue. Should I be worried about bits of it having gone into the engine?

So I've got to either rebuild this one, get someone to rebuilt mine, and/or get a new one. The one I have is a German Bosch unit. JUR / 0213 137 005 / 111 905 205N. My carb is a Solex H 30/31 PICT.

I think I mentioned earlier my desire to get pertronix (as it was suggested to me, and I hate adjusting points). I have one of those aircooled.net svda distributors, which I may be able to swap in here, while I try to decide the best one to install.

So if I get a new distributor - aircooled.net sells some with the pertronix points replacement module already installed. Pertronix 1, 2 or 3. They no longer have those custom SVDA distributor they put together. Any recommendations for a distributor?

Again - thanks for all your help.... I feel like I am singlehandedly bringing the list back to life...it has been quiet here for a while. Maybe I'll have to make my '65 my daily driver again.

;)

-Kevin Guarnotta
Jamaica Plain, MA

'78 Westy
'69 Singlecab
'65 Ez-camper

From: c.dreike [mailto:c.dreike at verizon.net]
Subject: Re: Good News

I think if you take off the cap and grab the rotor and try to see if it has any side play or wobble, that would be good enough. There is some sort of bearing supporting the shaft whether it is a ball bearing or a bushing. It would be pretty weird if there was any side play, but it could happen. In operation there is very little side load on the shaft that would create a sloppy bearing.