[VB] [T2] some good news

david raistrick keen at icantclick.org
Fri Aug 11 10:20:21 PDT 2017

> I found (in the greater San Diego area) it is not too much more costly to buy a new tank rather than have yours boiled out.  Eastwood also makes a tank cleaning/sealing kit, but I wasn’t overwhelmed with it.

...you've found new split or bay tanks??!!   where?  I'll supplement
my stash of vintage tanks.

that said:  the red-kote in my tank solved a LOT of problems, 6 years strong.

the current fuels pull a really fine powdery rust off the walls of the
tank, and it'll bypass the typical fuel filters and clogs the jets in
the carb.

next:  you were probably still running the 2015 gas in the tank?  it
sucks water out of the air like no other - btdt.   Get that stuff out
of there and dont reuse it without recovering it first and replace
with fresh.

Want to salvage the fuel?   get a fuel/water seperating filter funnel
and strain the fuel through that to pull most of the water out.   Then
add a dose of PRI to the old fuel.  (it works. really.  better than
any "stabilizer" and will revitalize old fuel.  I had fuel in the bus
that -would not- ignite by spark.  even in my lawn mower.   a PRI
treatment and it burned fine.  (though I prefer to blend it back in).)

oh - and I still run 2 inline filters before the carb just in case,
with a big RE magnet taped to the first one...

red-kote (1 qt if you squeeze it, or 2 to be safe):
https://www.amazon.com/Red-Kote-Quart-Sealer-Diesel/dp/B009X0JOSM/

filter funnel (or larger sizes too):
https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Funnel-AF3CB-Fuel-Filter/dp/B000SOIRCG/

PRI: