[VB] Fun Facts about tail lamp lenses

c.dreike c.dreike at verizon.net
Mon Jun 23 20:54:26 MST 2014

Out of curiosity today I dug up the information below:

*From:*

*http://www.grote.com/fleets/ask_the_expert/compliance.html*

Answers by Chuck Polley.

Q: What do the letters on my (tail)light mean?

A:Most of the lamps you purchase today will have lettering on them that
doesn't seem to make any sense.  This lettering is the "SAE"
identification code.  The Society of Automotive Engineers has been
committed to improving the effectiveness and safety of your vehicles
lighting.  They have developed a uniform identification code that is
being used by all reputable manufacturers.  The code can be found in SAE
J759 JUN2001 -- Lighting Identification Code.

  Here is an example of a code you may see on a light.

SAE= Indicates lamp has been designed to SAE specifications as indicated
by the following letter codes.

A = Reflex Reflector, I = Turn signal, S = Stop Lamp, T = Tail lamp. 75=
the year lamp was certified.

DOTIndicates lamp has been tested and conforms to DOT Required
Specifications, but does not indicate that the Department of
Transportation or NHTSA has approved the lamp.

Please remember that this is a voluntary code and NHTSA only requires
codes on headlamps.  For a consolidated listing of the codes see the
Grote Technical Catalog <http://www.grote.com/marketing/index.html>or
contact SAE @ 877-606-7323 or CustomerService at sae.org
<mailto:customerservice at sae.org>

Cheers,