[VB] 59/60 Transaxle's

notorious_a_u_b_ notorious_a_u_b_ at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 2 19:57:42 MST 2014

Back before builders were offering the freeway flyer option, my Dad had his Company's Auto-Fleet Mechanic install a Super Beetle Trans as a side job. I acquired the tranny for free from an old man who had it&2 others sitting up on this hill behind his shop. Pay off the deal was I had to pull the motor myself, pull the old tranny,& when he was done, install the new tranny with the engine again. The old mechanic used to race Baja's &Jeep's in Mexico& up& down Cali. He used the best gears & bearings out of the mix, switched the swingaxles& reduction gears he rebuilt with the irs axles, switched over the ring&pinion, then made his own gaskets& used sealant every else needed as he bolted it all back together in the best tranny case of them all.He said the one from the super beetle had the best case,& never took the time to write down the ratios. He's already passed on so I can't ask him for his best guess, but rt after I remember saying something about the gears& he said it works, has 4 forward,& 1 reverse. If I didn't want it, he'd send it to the scrap mill but he wouldn't reopen it to find out the silly numbers. Different generation of Americans back there. Those no Crap taking John Wayne guys, John Wayne portrayed in films. I said thank you very much,& drove the Crap out of that tranny. It is still installed, never leaked,& when I switch out engines& drive it again, I'll have the Speedo calibrated, Tach installed, then record the speeds at gear changes, measure the tires, then do the math backwards to finally figure the ratios out. Point is, it's a 1959 D.C. with a Super Beetle Trans case. If you're trying to stay as close to original someone else will know more. For those of you who don't need specific parts, my Dub Truck is proof another way can work. Happy Monday, Aloha.