[VB] Diagnosing bad fuel pump

Kevin Guarnotta kguarnotta at usa.net
Thu Oct 10 19:17:54 MST 2013

Here is an update

I checked the fuel pump, and compared it to a new pump, and new “short rod”.
The rod I had was definitely longer by about ¼” inch. Also the bottom of the
existing fuel pump did not have something sticking out of it, like the new
fuel pump. So I was thinking – aha, I found the problem, incorrect rod
length. Not sure how long I’ve driven like that, but I’d say in the
thousands of miles. Which seems weird to me

So I changed the pump, and rod (replaced the gaskets too). It then started
right up. I then let it idle for a bit. Drove around the block. Came home.
Tried it again, and it worked fine. So I thought I had solved it. It seemed
a little hesitant around the block, but I was thinking maybe timing, or
there is some air in the fuel lines?

I then shut it down, let it sit for a bit longer, than tried the re-start,
and it was tough, but it started. I’m not sure if I cured the problem or
not.

I have a fuel filter between the pump and the carb. This seems like it
always has fuel in it? Which now makes me think it is the float problem as
suggested.

I’m going to try the carb again, and look at the “float & needle”.

One question – and this may  have been causing the problems all along
.I
installed a fuel reserve tap on my bus, as I thought it would be an easy way
to shut off fuel to the engine when pulling it out. I also thought it would
be kind of cool to hook up a reserve fuel tank switch. I still have not
installed the switch. I recall that these repro reserve switches are made
backwards from original. So when looking in the Bentley  Section K4, pg.5 I
see the reserve lever in position A is open, B is closed and C is reserve.
If the new ones are reversed, does that mean A is reserve, B is still
closed, and C is Open? I had mine in position A, not sure if that would make
a difference or not. I have since switched it to C.

I’ll try to make a couple test drives tomorrow. Hopefully the problem has
gone away – I’m planning on a trip in it this weekend.

One more question about vapor lock/non-venting cap, this should not be the
problem, as it often occurs after fueling up, so the tank would presumably
have plenty of air at that point, right??

Oh yeah, I also added a pint of Sea Foam engine cleaner stuff, hoping that
would help clean my carb-if that is the problem.

Thanks for your help

-Kevin Guarnotta

Jamaica Plain, MA

’78 Westy