[VB] Diagnosing bad fuel pump

Kevin Guarnotta kguarnotta at usa.net
Tue Oct 15 07:25:46 MST 2013

I made it through the weekend voyage to NH. Not a far trip, about 2 hours.
Foliage this time of year, really nice up there. The bus was ok. I did have
some sputtering, and some trouble starting - so I can't tell if what I did
helped the problem, or if I still have the problem but it didn't rear its
ugly head this weekend. That is what I hate about intermittent problems.

Anyway - my next step will be to pull the petcock on the fuel tank. Any tips
on removing that? I am envisioning a whole bunch of gas pouring out after
taking it out. Are there seals in there that I'll need to replace?

Oh yeah  - some other things  I checked - after driving for a bit, I checked
the coil, it was not burning hot. That is good, right?

Dipstick passed the hand touch test after driving for a bit, i.e. it was not
too hot to hold. SO I think engine is not running too hot.

I looked for a fuel pressure gauge at my FLAPS. The only one they had
appeared to be for measuring much higher pressures, i.e. The gauge was not
fine enough so that I'd be able to tell the difference between 3 PSI and 8
PSI.

-Kevin Guarnotta

Jamaica Plain, MA

'78 Westy