[T2] Disc brakes dragging

Chris Dreike cdreike at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 10:02:58 PDT 2020

Hi Jason,
I just reread your email. I also looked into Bentley. There is no
adjustment between the booster and master cylinder. Only the rod between
the brake pedal and the booster is adjustable and the spec is .04" gap.
I'll shorten the rod one more time and see if that helps.

Thanks,
Chris

On Sat, Aug 15, 2020 at 8:27 AM Chris Dreike <cdreike at gmail.com> wrote:

> I already checked and increased the gap. I think the spec is .02" or .04".
> I can easily make the gap larger.
> Will try that today.
>
> Thanks,
> Chris
>
> On Sat, Aug 15, 2020 at 8:13 AM Jason Foster <jkfoster101 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Sounds like there is not enough freeplay between the brake booster and
>> the master cylinder.   There is an adjustment bolt on the booster.  If
>> there isn't freeplay the brakes slowly build pressure while driving.
>>
>> Happy to answer any questions
>>
>> Jason
>>

>> On Fri, Aug 14, 2020, 10:00 PM Chris Dreike <cdreike at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Guys,
>>> I put this up once before but I still have a problem. This is on my 71
>>> Bay
>>> with power disc brakes. The booster, master cylinder, brake hoses, brake
>>> cylinders, calipers are all new. I installed empi drop spindles a couple
>>> months ago. Ever since the disc brakes are slowly closing up and
>>> dragging.
>>> Before I start the engine, with the parking brake off, I pump the brakes
>>> 10
>>> times. By the 10th pump the the pedal goes down about 1/3-1/2 way and
>>> feels
>>> good. It goes down smoothly. The bus will roll forward or back on the
>>> slightest slope, so the brakes are free.
>>>
>>>  I start the engine and drive off. After a bit of driving and using the
>>> brakes, the pedal goes hard very near the top of stroke and the discs are
>>> dragging slightly. I can stop, shut off the engine and pump 10 times and
>>> the brakes free up once again.
>>>
>>> I bled the brakes myself when I installed everything and today I took it
>>> my trusted mechanic who also bled the brakes and made sure the rear
>>> brakes
>>> are properly adjusted. I still have the same problem.
>>>
>>> Any ideas on what may be going on? I have the original proportion valve
>>> installed. What is the deal with a valve in the master cylinder? Is there
>>> one in the 71? Should I remove it? Could the booster have a leak? I
>>> adjusted the pedal to booster rod so there is a small gap between it and
>>> the booster.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Chris
>>> 64 DD Kamper Kit