[T2] Sunroof

Al Brase alribee at gmail.com
Wed May 29 11:13:31 PDT 2019

My ex wife worked for a big industrial company that had a chem lab.
Sometimes, they would analyze things that, well, were not really company
business.
They analyzed WD-40: It is kerosene and a fragrance. That's all. Nice
fragrance (Not as nice as the Sunnen Precision Hone people put in their
spray lube for piston pin assembly, tho.)
Why this is important? Kerosene is a light oil and nearly totally
volatile.After it evaporates, where will you be?
Maybe, just fine, if the lube has redistributed.
I know this: In 1990, I bought a 1982 Vanagon with a sunroof. I used it a
lot. I'd clean out the conifer (spruce) needles yearly from the drains. I'd
carry an extension ladder up there and a couple time the rope got caught in
the closing. WHOA! I stopped cranking. (I'd often be closing it while
underway.)
In about 15 years of use, I never lubed anything, nor did it feel like it
needed it. And it never failed. I know that is a bit bigger panel and  more
turns stop to  stop from a T2 sunroof, but pretty close relative. When they
are right, they work very well.
Good to know about your success.