[T2] Sunroof

Chris Dreike cdreike at gmail.com
Wed May 29 10:46:56 PDT 2019

 Hey guys,
After a lot of cleaning and puzzling and installing new freshly greased
cables and as many new plastic covers as are available, my sunroof was just
not working well at all. I even had new plastic front slide pieces made via
3D printer.  I had used silicone supergrease as suggested by the folks on
The Samba. It would slide open a bit stiffly but closing would require
pulling the roof forward while turning the crank. Without the pulling, the
roof did not move well at all and it would not lift into the fully closed
position. So I invited another mechanically inclined friend over for a
troubleshooting session who has a beautiful orange shorty bay window bus.
We spent about 2 hours studying what was there and looking through the
Bentley manual to try and figure this out. I suggested that the cables were
not sliding smoothly through the corners in the stainless guide tubes. Dave
finally said, "Let's spray down the cables with WD-40. What have we got to
lose?"  Out came my coveted can of original WD-40 with propane propellant
(it's about 30 years old and still sprays like new). After a bit of
spraying and working the roof open and closed, the cables started running
free and easy. The roof now opens and closes and moves into its parked
position about as smooth as a baby's behind.

I suppose the supergrease is just too heavy and sticky. Need to use
something lighter.

Cheers,
Chris
64DD Kamper Kit