[T2] Buying a 71 Bay

david raistrick keen at icantclick.org
Wed Sep 19 15:21:49 PDT 2018

> On another note, I am buying a 71 deluxe from Colorado. Its been somewhat
> refurbished so it looks nice. The engine and tranee, I'll find out when I
> get there next week. Plan is to drive it home to L.A.
> I'm new to bays.
>
> What size head is on the lug nuts? Is it the same as a splitty?

same 19mm.  disc brakes (with a few exceptions) so 5x112, but still 19mm nuts.

> Is the swing lever the same as on a splitty?

lets call it very similar.  (and more similar to a late split than an
early split).  some differences, and if I recall the bushings dont
exactly interchange (the pin might).    one or the other requires
reaming to fit, the other doesnt.    I can't recall which is which
right now.

> Wondering what tools I will need to buy.

nothing significantly different from a mechanical viewpoint.  disc
brakes, maybe power (vacuum) booster for those - so front/rear brakes
and rear hub bearings are different but similar.

the dual joint axles are and rear engine mount (mustache bar) instead
of the frame horn mounts are the big ones.  you'll want a triple
square for the CV bolts (...though sometimes you find them replaced
with allen socket head bolts), but they're still readily available at
most FLAPs and HF these days (low quality, but enough to get you
going), so not really a major need to get one in advance.

you'll enjoy putting gear oil and adjusting the clutch in a bay vs a
split, there's TONS of room (compared..).

gl!  enjoy the trip!