[T2] T4 1700 questions

Dave Gillingham dave at coronado-realty.com
Sat Sep 1 12:30:29 PDT 2018

Hi list:

I pulled the engine from my 73 bus to replace the front and rear crank
seals, and to have the trans rebuilt (the famous third gear synchro).

Couple of questions:

1) This engine appears to have been an FI engine and it has some pretty
ugly threaded (but plugged) tubes next to each plug.  Is there something
less obtrusive that can be installed?

2) The engine emits a fair amount of blue smoke on start up.  I’ll guess
worn valve guides, although it isnt clear to me how they would leak oil
into the cylinder given the orientation of the valves.  Engine compression
is between about 115 and 130, so I wasn’t planning on pulling it apart.
Should I have the heads rebuilt?  Could the shop plug the FI holes?

3) Last for now:  the clutch was working just fine, and doesn’t look
particularly worn.  Is there a way to check the pressure plate, or is this
a “don’t be an idiot, replace both” scenario?

Thanks,

Dave
--

Dave Gillingham, Owner/Broker