[T2] Oil cooler on a 68-71

c.dreike c.dreike at verizon.net
Sat Oct 27 20:17:46 PDT 2018

Hi,
I'm in the throws of installing a rebuilt engine in my 71. Seems that no
one that I can find has discovered a good solution for installing a full
flow oil pump cover that fits with the mustache bar engine support. It
appears that some folks simply cut the mustache bar for clearance.  I'm
currently looking into having an oil pump cover machined with a pipe
thread pointing directly to the rear rather than to the side as the off
the shelf covers go. What have you other folks done to install a full
flow filter?

And to address Andrew's oil overheat problem, take a look at the two oil
pressure valves. If the pressure control valve (at flywheel end) is set
too high, the relief valve at the pulley end will not close and oil will
not flow through the cooler. There is a spec on the spring heights you
can look up. Generally the relief valve opens on a cold engine due to
high oil pressure causing oil to bi-pass the cooler. As the oil heats
and thins, the pressure drops allowing the relief valve to close causing
oil to flow through the cooler. The pressure control valve keeps oil
pressure at the proper constant level. Excessive oil pressure causes the
pump to work harder using up precious engine horsepower and could also
cause the oil to heat. If a full flow cover is somehow installed on the
pump, an external oil cooler could be installed. Using a thermostatic
bi-pass valve in the circuit is advisable. Look up Thermostat oil
valves. Checking oil pressure might also be instructive. Here is a link
to a discussion on oil pressure. Specs are listed.

Chris
64DD Kamper Kit
71 sunroof