[T2] CRC belt grip

Robert Mann robtmann7 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 14:00:16 PDT 2018

     Having run out of the spacing washers for the alternator pulley, I
thought my belt was slightly too tight.  For no clear reason, CRC belt grip
was sprayed briefly on the belt in the crankshaft pulley (engine running).
     The belt promptly rotated c.90° about its long axis, so that it was
running 'on its side'!  I have never heard of this, nor can I imagine how
that conformation could be a lower-energy state than the normal V-belt
running in the grooves.  Is it a hint of some blunder in my placement of
the alternator after rebuilding?  If so, why didn't the belt pull this
stunt sooner?  It does appear to be the CRC belt grip which caused the
twisting.
      We tried reversing this twisting by hand, but at re-starting the belt
went back to its novel unofficlal conformation.  Upon removal, that belt
which had been showing some fibres of its carcase was now uniformly matt
black.   I've slapped in another 905 (made in India).

      Anyone know more of CRC belt grip?  Anyone able to interpret its
twisting effect on my belt?

Robt Mann
'73 1600dp Devon camper