[T2] Single cab Gas Tank removal

Kevin Guarnotta kevin at guarnottadesign.com
Fri Jan 19 07:33:53 PST 2018

Hi Guys,

Working on my '69 singlecab. We have discovered some rot inside the treasure chest area. One of the cross beams across the top - towards the back of the treasure chest compartment. It appears as though water came through the truck bed, then sat on these members, and rusted some holes.

My body shop says they can weld some stuff up there to reinforce it, but they don't want to weld near the gas tank. Can I remove the gas tank through the access holes to the treasure chest? Or do I need to remove the engine? It looks like it might make it, but I don't want to start this process, if it is a no - go.

Thanks for any tips on this.

-Kevin Guarnotta
Jamaica Plain, MA

'78 Westy