[T2] Starting problems in 78 VW Bus

George Mallia georgemallia at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 14:20:39 PDT 2018

Hello List!

I have a 78 Bay Window Camper Bus with stock everything. Towards the end of last fall (I keep the Westy in storage over the winter) the Westy started to have a difficult time starting. It has always started very quickly like in a couple of seconds. But this changed and now it takes a couple of minutes of turning the engine over before it starts. I would say first thing in the morning, but it really doesn’t matter what time of day, just the first start of the day. Once started it will be great all day. I can drive it for as little as 5 minutes and when turned off it will easily re-start, within a second of turning the key. I can drive it for 30 min. Play a round of golf over 5 hours, and then when I come back to re-start it, it will start in a second or two. However, once it goes to sleep for the night, no matter what, the next day’s start will be an ordeal that can go on for 5 minutes or so. I have yet to have a day when it did not start at all, but I don’t want that to happen.

Any ideas?

Sincerely,

George Mallia
Charlottetown, PEI, Canada