[T2] [Q] Starter Won't Turn

david raistrick keen at icantclick.org
Tue May 16 19:31:27 PDT 2017

> - found a clogged fuel filter -- odd since it was relatively new
> - replaced the fuel filter, and the bus fired right up!
> - consider cleaning the gas tank, or perhaps installing a new one (appears
> to be much junk in there)

to my knowledge no one is reproducing tanks, so you'd be looking at
finding an NOS or another used tank - both of which will have had
atmospheric corrosion if nothing else.

(if you find them new, let me know!  especially if someone's making a
modern-plastic tank, sigh)

the current generations of fuel are, to me, really bad on our old
tanks - they just suck the rust right out of them, even a super fine
powder that will pass most fuel filters.... and ends up settling into
the passages of the carb.

I coated mine with Red Kote at the recommendation of another local bus
guy - it's worked out pretty well now, going on 6 years later.   The
fuels are still dirty as hell, but a lot of the fine powder and filter
clogging problems have gone away.

https://www.amazon.com/Red-Kote-Quart-Sealer-Diesel/dp/B009X0JOSM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1494987696&sr=8-1&keywords=red+kote
 and of course other places - I paid $30/qt in '11 shipped.

as I recall, 1 quart will -just- do it, but 2 gives you better options.

> - think about a new wiring harness; wish new '71 harnesses were readily
> available

https://www.kustom1warehouse.net/Bus_replacement_VW_wire_harness_p/wiringharnessbus.htm

at least partials are available.   but it's a monster project - IMO
easier to do a quality splice job for the sections that need help....