[T2] [Q] Starter Won't Turn

David C Matthews dcm7293 at gmail.com
Tue May 16 08:40:24 PDT 2017

Thank you to all providing assistance with my "starter issue". The problem
has been corrected, and below are some details. It was an interesting
Sunday afternoon...

- spent some quality time with the bus (this seems to be the key to
correcting anything)
- once I bothered to look, found significant corrosion on the battery cable
ends
- bought a "battery post cleaning kit", and went to work; best $10 I've
spent in a while
- let my mind wander back to the "starter issue"...
- with clean battery posts/cables in place, but a weak battery, decided to
jump start the bus via the minivan
- not sure whether the minivan current "unstuck" the starter, or whether
the starter was ever stuck in the first place
- in any event, the bus at least turned over now, but no ignition
- while contemplating whether the issue was lack of fuel or lack of spark,
decided to venture under the bus
- found a clogged fuel filter -- odd since it was relatively new
- replaced the fuel filter, and the bus fired right up!
- put the battery on the charger, and now all is well (will probably need a
new battery shortly)

Punchline
- corroded battery cables and fuel starvation were the culprits for the
"starting issue"

Next Steps
- consider cleaning the gas tank, or perhaps installing a new one (appears
to be much junk in there)
- add a new battery to the list of near-term purchases
- think about a new wiring harness; wish new '71 harnesses were readily
available
- replace the serpentine belt (noticed some fraying)

David