[T2] [Q] Starter Won't Turn-now blocked gas tank

MUTS muts at verizon.net
Tue May 16 22:00:55 PDT 2017

Be careful of sealers- after a rebuild and placing in a tank that looked
good on visual inspection, we went to Ohio and Michigan, and  began
experiencing hesitation that was intermittent- I checked fuel filter and
it was not blocked- yet symptoms seemed to be of gas starvation (would
run at low speeds, hesitate on acceleration or uphill).  Got towed to
Munk's which was 40 miles away (convinced Good Sam it had to be a place
that actually works on AFC aircooled vehicles)-spent the night in their
lot.  Next day they sold me a double relay and all seemed OK until
hesitation again.  I laid underneath and heard a noisy fuel pump and
replaced it with a FLAPS 150 truck one (fits like the old one.  While
doing that, I tried running some gas from tank directly and thought it
looked slow, blew up the hose (used my siphon hose with a connector tube
so you could stand and blow into it) and it flowed more freely- EUREKA,
something is blocking the outlet when it rolls over the hole!  The noisy
pump is cavitation from the starvation. I put in a clear fuel filter. We
limped home 350 mi. at night, blowing at least once up the hose, driving
slowly on back roads across Pa....not a pleasant experience. I did see
some tiny pieces of a plastic layer in the filter.
    Cut the access hole over the tank and drained it, looking through
the level sender hole with a light hung in the tank at night. Tan
colored pieces as large as inch across were rolling around that got past
the baffle box around the outlet and were from a failed lining of the
tank!  I attached a flex pipe LP gas line (around 3/4" across) to a shop
vac hose 16 feet from the tank and sucked out all the pieces.  The pipe
screamed like a banshee from the flex corrugations! I put a valve
closable t in the line so I could easily blow up the line, but it's been
OK since.

Quoth D. Raistrick:
 > I coated mine with Red Kote at the recommendation of another local bus
 > guy - it's worked out pretty well now, going on 6 years later.

MUTS  = Michael's Ultimate Thumb Saver oboe, clarinet support
93 Chevy Roadtrek 210P
78 VW Westfalia Camper