[T2] alternator/regulator fault(s)

Robert Mann robtmann7 at gmail.com
Thu May 4 13:42:48 PDT 2017

     My discharge warning light stays glowing until c.2500 rpm; it does
then fade out (as distinct from going out sharply) at cruising speed.  This
anomalous condition, over 3 mo, has now been worsened by the light coming
back on at low revs.  The 5-y-old battery has not run down  -  helped by
lack of headlights usage.

     I've been meaning for years to install an ammeter or a voltmeter on
the dash, but still have neither.

     The local autoelectrician had the vehicle only an hour when he
concluded the fault is in the alternator (which includes the regulator,
housed within the alternator).  He says a rebuild is necessary.  The
Bentley implies it's easy to remove  -  but has anyone found any fishhooks
in removal or replacement?
     As a fallback, has anyone by any chance found a recent alternator that
can slot in as a replacement?

     Has anyone experienced this failure mode?  Any suggestions please?

Robt Mann
'73 1600dp Devon camper