[T2] Alternator cooling boot

Kevin Guarnotta kevin at guarnottadesign.com
Tue Jul 18 05:19:41 PDT 2017

Thanks. I ordered a cooling boot from Bus Depot already. They sent one – it was not sized properly for my 55 amp alternator (I ordered the wrong one). They sent a replacement. Turns out they are both the exact same boot – just different clamps. The clamp shapes the end of the boot – I am assuming this is an engineering move to save money (i.e. make one boot and sell it with different clamps is cheaper than making two different boots.

I guess works out for me – as I’m currently trying to install a 70 amp alt. that I got from a spare engine my mechanic had. He said the alternator was good. I trust him – hopefully it works out.

Ps- realized I wrote the bottom brake is broken, I meant to write bottom bracket.

-Kevin Guarnotta
Jamaica Plain, MA

’78 Westy
'69 Singlecab
'65 Ez-camper

From: Old Volks Home [mailto:oldvolkshome at gmail.com]
Subject: Re: [T2] Alternator cooling boot

Kevin -

The 3 pole connector is the same.  I make replacement harnesses with the plug - I am out now but hope to have more produced later this summer.

The boot for the 70 am alternator is different from the 55 amp alternator.  Both are made by Airhead Parts (I had them make them years ago.  I also carry them in my show stock for when I go to sell at VW shows.  Being disabled since Jan 2016 I've been selling them online to supplement the low-fixed disability income for some "mad money" :)

Jim Thompson
84 GL 1.9 "Gloria"
84 Westfalia 2.1 "Ole Putt"
Full Timing From March 1999 To January 2012
oldvolkshome at gmail.com<mailto:oldvolkshome at gmail.com>
http://www.oldvolkshome.com
Find me on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/people/Jim-Thompson/100000710343835