[T2] a solid old tip

Robert Mann robtmann7 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 16:21:16 PDT 2017

      A much-respected garage proprietor told me 35 y ago this hot tip for
starting engines that have been stopped for months.

1  Ease the pipe from the air cleaner off the top of the carb.  (There is
no need to keep its worm-drive clip clamped v firmly, since suction is the
normal regime there.)

2  Pour half an eggcup of petrol straight down the throat.  (If petrol is
unavailable in your jurisdiction, gasoline will have to do.)

3  Switch on ignition and crank engine which will start immediately.

      Of course, if there's no spark the engine will not start.
      You might think the position of the fuel tank, above the carb, would
keep the float chamber from going dry after long stops.  But I have found v
extended cranking is needed to get fuel to the cylinders in such
circumstances.  This is not good for the battery, the starter, or your
nerves.  The Anderson Half-eggcup is the answer.
       Bruce Anderson, now >80, has often cleaned up the pre-war class of
the annual classic bike races on his 1935 Harley-Davidson 350cc
'Peashooter', ahead of machines with bigger engines.  He would be one of
the most respected mechanics in the country.  It brings me pleasure to
onspread his hot tip.