[T2] Weird Smell

John Burneskis john.burneskis at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 14:41:32 PDT 2016

First, the particulars:  1978 VW Westfalia, (stock fuel injection engine,
standard transmission)

Engine is weak in #3 (95 PSI, when last checked 1 year ago)

Normal oil spots on the ground, gravel, grass, garage or wherever it sits
for 8 hours.

New ball joints (by Salem Import Service, Mark Dearing)

During the return trip from a -4- day&night music festival/campout/smoke
in/beer & bourbon tasting & sharing in Capon Bridge West Virginia to Aldie
Virginia, I noticed a familiar, yet strange odor from the back of the bus.

It smelled like propane gas, or flavored natural gas.

In the back of the bus, under the fold-out seat, I had a portable butane
(hot flame) stove, with 7 full (or *so I thought*) 1 lb canisters.  And one
canister still loaded in the stove (which I had originally thought was the
culprit)

I pulled off Rt 50 at GORE WV exit, and ransacked EVERYTHING under the
seat.  Nothing seemed amiss.

Then with my head sniffing inside the back seat storage, I noticed that the
weird odor was coming from the front of the bus, behind me.

. . .  behind me

I guess I didn't need Bentleys.

maybe I just needed Dove and water.....

Needless to say, my wife greeted me with 'mixed emotions?'

John Burneskis ('Barry' also works,)