[T2] Sharing - four problems; two solutions

MUTS muts at verizon.net
Sat Feb 6 09:34:01 MST 2016

Did you put a voltmeter on the battery before and after it is running?
A healthy battery has a resting voltage of 12.7, 13.2 just after a full
charge assuming all cells are good. Make sure there is water in all the
cells that reach the vent slot in the side of the cell opening, but do
not go above this slot, as you will spread out acid when charging.
Running, the voltage should go to at least 13.2 or higher with healthy
alternator and regulator.  BTW, the relay supplied for spare battery has
too small wiring to aid with starting boost- you need battery cable
sizing and a high amp switch like what I put in when our Roadtrek
isolator died- these allow at least 30 amps to flow to spare battery
when driving.
    The bus dying when coming to a stop could be a vacuum leak in the
brake line, causing the the bus to lean out when brakes are applied-
especially when bus is cold. .  Our 75 bus also would stall at lights;
it was a vac leak in the intake boots; she had to keep gunning it, or
increase idle rpm's.
    Bucking at speed or hills could be fuel pump issues, or blockage
going to the fuel pump-you may have enough pressure/volume until you
step on it, then it leans out.  We had a blocked gas tank on a trip from
Cedar Pt Ohio- had to crawl home on back roads mostly 25 mph, as any
throttle increase would make it want to stall- blew air up the gas line
from fuel pump to temporarily unblock it, but it was flakes from a PO
tank coating that came off and were too big to get to filter.  I vacuum
cleaned the tank in situ and put a T in the line to make it easier to
blow up air or check free flow of gas.

MUTS  = Michael's Ultimate Thumb Saver oboe, clarinet support
93 Chevy Roadtrek 210P
78 VW Westfalia Camper