[T2] Sharing - four problems; two solutions

John Burneskis john.burneskis at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 10:13:26 MST 2016

problem (1) Battery warning light constantly on:  I had/have a problem with
starting the '78 Westy.

One day, sitting on my driveway, the bus was refusing to start; not turning
over at the speed 'needed' to start.

I let the bus drift backwards a bit, and caught it in REVERSE.  No
problem.  But the battery warning light came on, and for weeks later, I
could not get it off.

Brilliant!?!?!

If the battery warning light came on when I caught the bus in REVERSE gear
while drifting backwards, why not turn the bus 180 on the driveway, so it
was pointing down the slight driveway slope and catch the bus in SECOND
gear (forward drift)

I did, and solved the battery warning light dilemma (bug?)

problem (2) The '78 Westy would turn over, but at a slugging rotation, and
the bus would not start.  I have a second battery in the driver side engine
compartment, with a 'relay' that connect the batteries WHEN I am generating
power to the main battery.

Sometimes I would have to activate the relay so both batteries were
connected when starting/turning over.  Simplest way was a connection of the
batteries at the relay by manual mean, or move the 'signal' wire from the
'battery warning light' to the coil, so I had a connection when the key was
on.

Or I could , , , ,   (we could go on forever with these 'workarounds)  , ,
, get really ticked off at the bus, and put it in SECOND gear, clutch
ENGAGED and turn the key until something broke, or blew up.

Worked!  the bus started in second gear, no use of clutch pedal, after
choking and bucking a bit, but I have NOT had that starting problem again!

problem (3)  The bus dies when I am coming to a stop.  The revs really drop
down and the engine will shut off coming to a traffic stop.  Really
frustrating.  Vacuum is fine. No solution in sight . . .   YET.

problem (4) The bus will die, like a horse that was beaten hard and run
dry, when I try to climb the West Virginia hills during hot August; and it
will 'buck' severely when I am driving along the highway at a certain set
speed in 4th gear.

Hey!  Don't tell me 'get a HORSE!'!!  I think that is what I have.

Barry sends