[T2] re recalcitrant motor

Robert Mann robtmann7 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 01:04:42 MST 2015

	I can think of 2 further possibilities.

1  Just because you copped a jolt from your ignition system does not
prove the spark is strong enough for ignition.  A spark out in the
air has to be blue, and a fairly loud 'snap', if it is to ignire
mixture at several atm in the cyl.

2  I have recently seen 2 examples of dud spark-plug shrouds or caps
or whatever you call them.  One of our most famous racers, the late
Len Perry, was forced to retire from a big race at Ardmore by his
Manx spark-plug cap going open.  That failure is ruled out by the std
method of laying the plug on the head (or other well-earthed bare
metal), and then seeing & hearing the spark with the plug-shroud on
the plug.  But checking the apark further back in the 'HT supply
chain' will not allow detection of a bum shroud.

--

L. R. B. Mann  M.Sc  Ph.D
applied ecology