[T2] Primer

John Kolak jkolak at gmail.com
Sun Sep 7 07:02:52 MST 2014

Thanks for your interest in my project, David. I'm kind of thinking
back to basics here. I've had two professionally painted VWs with
modern paints have rust return after a year or so, making the paint
bubble up. On the other hand, I had a length of mild steel left over
from my roof structure job that was painted with oil-based red oxide
primer and sat in the rain on the cement for years and never rusted or
peeled. I'm also thinking this is the same technology VW painted the
bus with in the first place, so it ought to be fine. Original German
paint is highly prized among bus hunters. It fades and oxidizes, but
it doesn't rust. I'm also thinking of future repairs where it's much
easier to blend a single part paint than catalyzed paint.

Thanks,

John