[T2] Primer

david raistrick keen at icantclick.org
Fri Sep 5 06:59:19 MST 2014

john - what's your goal using the red oxide primer?  and what sort
would you be using?

my experience with it (valspar and rustoleum and tractor supply's
house brand) - it absorbs water, like all other primers (except
epoxy).    also, really nothing sticks well to it (even matching
products).   even if you top coat it with a quality primer later to
apply real paint (..I forget what we used on the rabbit now, but it's
only been since ~05 since my brother painted it and cheaped out using
red oxide for everything but the final tie coat), they'll react and
start coming apart eventually.

If you care about the bodywork and money and time investment in
spraying it out, and care about how it lasts in a few years, don't
skimp.   Get the real stuff.    If you're dead set against using a
full line from a real paint supplier, Kirker's primers (and limited
colors...) are easily available mailorder, or even Eastwood's house
brand.   do yourself a favor and shoot that first coat in epoxy!

otoh, if it's a trailer or tractor implement or furniture, or
something else that would need to get re-done every few years
regardless, go for it. :)

..david (who has a 40's metal sink cabinet in the kitchen that needs
to get torn down, patched up, and done again.  and -this- time it
-will- be epoxy.)