[T2] Harmonic noise

John Anderson wvukidsdoc at yahoo.com
Wed May 14 14:49:02 MST 2014

Mike, I am still inclined to wonder/think about bearings.  And about tranny, specifically ring and pinion noise though I have no reason that would improve in a turn.  FWD CV's will sometimes improve when loaded in a turn, they also click on hard slow turns, IRS rear halfshafts don't do that so much on either count.  I do certainly think it could be your issue, but off hand I'd guess more bearing related, even with all of them new.  The obvious thing that would negate that is if it was there before and after and is totally unchaged.  If that is the case, not likely the bearings of course as they would have changed to some degree.  CV's actually usually run a bit cooler and last a bit longer a bit loose, but can make more noise if they are.  Loose is relative, loose in the cage, loose in the race to race and ball fit?  To me if they have no more than a well burnished appearance on the high wear tracks, with even a just palpable depression, but with
 no pitting in the burnished areas, they are damn near new and good to go for another 100k or more with good grease.  With a tiny smidge of pitting on a couple of tracks, but chrome on the balls still solid, again with good grease you can still likely get 50k out of em, but YMMV.

Does it make it in ANY gear if you go 35mph, ie if you push to 35 in 2nd or cruise 35 in 3rd, will it still make the noise?  That is pushing it a bit in 2 of course.  Regardless my best guess would still be bearing, improved when loading, and I'd guess front L then rear L, but these sort of things are the most frustrating to figure out some time.  New bearings are sometimes notoriously dismal in quality, and the rears are just a bit tricky to install.  I'd check your front fit first as they are the easiest to mess with, check, and do anything about.

John