[T2] 34 pict 3

Max Bronsema max.bronsema at gmail.com
Sun Mar 16 20:06:27 MST 2014

I had a 30/31 that was fantastic on my first 1600dp. However, it seemed if
you actually needed to drive the bus for extended periods of time it would
really stress the engine. No data on that, just seat of the pants feeling.
I never had a 30/31 with an SVDA though.

On a rebuild, I put on a German 34 Pict-3 with the requisite SVDA. Once
dialed in it was rock solid for several years. It did wear out though, and
I thought, I'll just buy a new one. The new Brazilian 34 Pict-3 was pure
junk. I couldn't tune it, a trusted VW mechanic couldn't tune it. We tried
everything. Eventually, we rebuilt the German body and that is still on my
1600dp and it works like a dream.

I use the stock air cleaner and stock exhaust. For awhile I used a
"Thunderbird" Monza style exhaust and that really didn't help with idle and
icing problems occurring.

I would rather run the 34 Pict-3 than the 30/31 any day of the week, even
though it does take some time to get it set right. I use this process to
adjust my carb, http://www.vw-resource.com/34pict3.html

Peace,

Max
'71 Westy "KK-Louise" 1600dp with SVDA and 34 Pict-3