[T2] gremlins .... long.....

Jamie jrivers at globalserve.net
Sat Aug 2 07:23:06 MST 2014

Bob, electric problems can be dificult at best... especially with one
person.
I usually try to have a helper... but one of the best tools I have is an
aligator lead with my voltmeter.

with the starter... find a way to clip the meter lead to the term 50 spade
terminal ... vise grips. aligator lead, etc and have long enough leads so
you can view the meter from the key..
I have a recording meter.. so I can clip it on, turn the key,, and look see
the lowest voltage recorded...
turn the key to start.. _0v_/___fill in voltage reading here**
if the voltage is low at the starter solenoid,,, work your way "back" the
circuit to find where it is good.
the output of the hot start relay,, _0v_/___fill in voltage reading here
then the input , that should be the red/black, _0v_/___fill in voltage
reading here
then the key output at the dash , other end of the same red/black... at the
dash
you can poke thru the insulation here.. you don't have to pull the key
switch out..._0v_/___fill in voltage reading here
then the RED wire that feeds the key switch,, you can poke thru the
insulation here,, __/__fill in voltage reading here
this red wire is the same red wiire on the headlight switch.. which
sometimes, is easier to find.. this wire should be B+ voltage
then find the big RED?WHITE wire that feeds the fuse panel.. __/__fill in
voltage reading here
then the other end of the big red wire on term 50 at the starter...
__/__fill in voltage reading here
note,,
**take a reading with key off... then key in start position

the next step is to do some maintenance on the starter...
I have included some more info below...

myself , I always pull that hot start relay out and fix the problem,,I don't
believe in hot start relays, but I realize the hot start relay can protect
the key switch from flyback voltage of the solenoid coil...

Otmar wrote
As a mechanic who had to troubleshoot a lot of "repairs" where people
added a solenoid, I would advise against it. I believe it's better to
find the root cause than to patch around it. Here is an old post of
mine that may be relevant in your case: