[T2] Intake air sensor checking - please help

Christophe Guilbert cguilbert at picasso.ucsf.edu
Thu Sep 26 17:04:31 MST 2013

Hi everyone.
I am trying to I am trying to fix my Vanagon 1983 for this WE.

Here is my problem:
The van start and run normally. Once the engine is hot, I can't restart
it immediately and need to wait 1/2h so the whole thing cool down first.
The reason seems to be the engine is flooded (strong smell of gas)

Here what I did so far trying to follow the Bentley manual:
- Tried to check the cold start valve (even so my problem is when the
engine is hot)
- Check the intake sensors and auxiliary air regulator.

Results:
Concerning the cold start valve, I could not really tested because no
one is with me at the moment to crank the engine.
Concerning the intake sensor  , terminal 36 and 39 , I read 0 ohms
regardless if the flap is open or not. Bentley manual said that it has
to be infinite when it is closed. All other terminal (6 & 9 , .... ) are
within the spec. Now I check terminal 7 & 8 and 6 & 7 while opening the
flap, both were within the spec not lower than 40 ohms and not above 500
ohms, however I notice that while the resistance  increase when I open
the flap , the resistance drop suddenly when is the flap goes completely
open (.e.g  , 40 ohms flap close , 400 when half open down to 200 when
flap completely open).
Concerning the auxiliary air regulator , it look definitely guilty , it
show the correct value of 30 ohms however is is almost completely close
(10% open) at room temperature (temp here is around 70).

Do you guys have some comments ?
I guess I need to change the auxiliary air regulator but what about the
intake air sensor ?

Thanks for any help.