[T2] type 2 and vanagon engines

John Anderson wvukidsdoc at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 13 21:36:58 MST 2013

Thanks Jamie,

That is still it as I recall.  And I still have the NOS '79 German box if anyone ever needs it, but again I'd have to crawl in the garage attic to decide which side it is.  Vanagon it all bolts in fine, en total, to a '78, no flywheel/tranny issues, but you got to have a way to get heat (if you want/need it) and since the Vanagon has square port heads, that means '79 heater boxes with a '72-'74 or '79 muffler or exhaust setup, or no heat with the Vanagon boxes without a lot, a lot of say aircraft silicone hose plumbing cobbled together.  You need to transfer all the shroud bits and alternator from the Bus motor to the Vanagon motor where they simply bolt on as well.  So OK and "easy" if you have both motors and can get some '79 heater boxes.  If the Bus comes with no motor at all, it is more of a PITA as you have to find Bus shroud and tin, and then unless everything is damn cheap rewards diminish quickly.

If you needed new heater boxes and muffler in the '78 anyway, and the Vanagon motor was cheap, no reason at all not to do it though.

John