[T2] type 2 and vanagon engines

doktortim at rockisland.com doktortim at rockisland.com
Fri Sep 13 11:29:06 MST 2013

> I received the following email from Robert who is wondering how
> interchangeable an 82 vanagon engine is with a 78 bus, both fuel-injected.
>
> I said that the exhaust and heat exchangers would be most of what he has
> to worry about, but I'm an early-bay guy.
>
> Anyone else want to chime in?  His transmission shouldn't need anything
> new, right?
>
> Cheers,
>    Tom

The computer and harness will differ.  Vanagon mounts behind rear seat and
Bus is on the right side of motor compartment. Just install all the 78
harness/cpu to the 82 long block. Otherwise, swapping long blocks should
be close to nuts and bolts swap of cooling tin and exhaust which is the
other differance.

Just study the Bentley manuals for each to get a good plan in mind before
turning the nuts and bolts. Pay attention to US vs Cal set ups as
exhausts, injection controls and dizzys are all different. If you have the
choice, the oxy feedback is a better setup. Not critical, but very
convienient for setting mixture with nothing but a good multimeter.

And do the next owner a big favor and document well all the part numbers
and diagrams that define the setup.