[T2] type 2 and vanagon engines

Jamie jrivers at globalserve.net
Fri Sep 13 10:54:33 MST 2013

John Anderson wrote this recently,,,

No real issues, sort of...  As I recall, and Dolan had a www page somewhere
I thought...

First and obvious, unless you got a '79 exhaust system, you aren't going to
have heat without a lot of effort to plumb vanagon boxes, in point of fact
pretty impossible/improbable without mucho work.  And to keep the vanagon
boxes even if you rigged something down to them, would need to plug bus fan
shroud ports.  People do run the vanagon shroud for better cooling on bigger
T4's, perhaps one could run the alternator and modify the tin there, I've
never looked at that closely.

So you need a plan for exhaust ('79 boxes or head swap) and alternator (bus
presumably with bus shroud.)

Dipstick, keep both (ie. make sure you get the vanagon one, it is quite
acessible) or drive a tapered pin in with some JB weld on it.

Oil filler is not an issue, use the bus one.

Engine bearer holes tapped M10, overdrill your bearers or helicoil the holes
but it will be a double helicoil I think I recall.  The vanagon bolts are
too long, have a good metric hardware place at hand.

Breather, get the vanagon one or you got to rig something over the flared
snub.

That is it as I recall.  Only the exhaust/head issue is a real problem.  For
anyone so interested BTW I have a German NOS '79 box BTW, don't recall which
side, bought from BD 12-15 years ago, would part with it for what I gave at
the time ($299 same as Dansk currently and this is VW German.)

Sure nothing wrong/problematic if the Vanagon mill is solid low mile, and
you got a good source for a '79 exhaust on the cheap or intended a new one
$$ anyway.

John