[T2] engine oil pump / second oil cooler , engine improvement

C. Dreike c.dreike at verizon.net
Fri Nov 8 21:01:12 MST 2013

A larger pump is not always in one's best interest. The oil passages
are only so large and the oil must squeeze through the bearing
clearances. A larger pump could theoretically overpressure the system
and provide for leaks. A little research may well show that the
standard size pump is really all you need, especially in a "fresh"
engine with tight bearings. The added oil cooler will have large hoses
and passages which will have only a very minor affect on flow and
pressure drops.

Regards,
Chris

Scientists seek to understand what is,
while engineers seek to create what never was.
As the "Bad Astronomer" Phil Plait says, "Teach a man to reason, and
he can think for a lifetime."

Sent: Friday, November 08, 2013 6:11 PM
Subject: [T2] engine oil pump / second oil cooler , engine improvement

Hey guys ,

First , a big thanks to everyone who help me with advise to rebuild my
engine.

I could not finish my engine on time last week for Yosemite but
camping
with my kids in a tent with freezing temp was fun ..  I want my camper
back more than ever now :-)

My rebuild engine is going well so far, I just put my case together
and
can't wait to put the cylinder and head tomorrow.

1) I have the "impure" thought of putting a second oil cooler. Since
there's not much space under the bus and I don't want it to
transfigure
my van by putting the oil cooler exposed to eyes. I was thinking to
use
a small motorcycle oil cooler like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Ultima-Mini-Oil-Cooler-Harley-Davidson/dp/B007KPVWQ4

This could fit under the bus.

Now the real questions for me is what kind of heavy duty oil pump
should
I use ?. Budepot has two with 30mm and 26 mm gears. I assume the 30mm
is
more heavy duty and move more oil, correct ? if so, why the 26mm is
more
expensive.?

Any comment on adding the motorcycle oil cooler and the difference
with
the 30mm vs 26mm gears oil pump?  What is your experience adding a new
oil cooler ?

Thanks for any feedback.

Chris, vanagon aircool 1993.