[T2] engine oil pump / second oil cooler , engine improvement

Christophe Guilbert cguilbert at picasso.ucsf.edu
Fri Nov 8 19:11:28 MST 2013

Hey guys ,

First , a big thanks to everyone who help me with advise to rebuild my
engine.

I could not finish my engine on time last week for Yosemite but camping
with my kids in a tent with freezing temp was fun ..  I want my camper
back more than ever now :-)

My rebuild engine is going well so far, I just put my case together and
can't wait to put the cylinder and head tomorrow.

1) I have the "impure" thought of putting a second oil cooler. Since
there's not much space under the bus and I don't want it to transfigure
my van by putting the oil cooler exposed to eyes. I was thinking to use
a small motorcycle oil cooler like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Ultima-Mini-Oil-Cooler-Harley-Davidson/dp/B007KPVWQ4

This could fit under the bus.

Now the real questions for me is what kind of heavy duty oil pump should
I use ?. Budepot has two with 30mm and 26 mm gears. I assume the 30mm is
more heavy duty and move more oil, correct ? if so, why the 26mm is more
expensive.?

Any comment on adding the motorcycle oil cooler and the difference with
the 30mm vs 26mm gears oil pump?  What is your experience adding a new
oil cooler ?

Thanks for any feedback.

Chris, vanagon aircool 1993.