[T2] Successful roadside accelerator cable replacement

Neal F. Jarvis nealfjarvis at gmail.com
Tue Nov 5 07:10:33 MST 2013

I have yet to experience a cable break in my bus. Although it did happen on the way home from a cruising weekend to the beach in my bug. Sadly I was 4 miles from Maryland's best eastern shore VW shop and it was Sunday. They were closed so I was towed home 58 miles. I had always carried a spare but for some reason I didn't have one. Must have given it away at some point.
Anyway the reason for my message is to say that the newer replacement cables are often of poor quality.
I replaced my cable with a brand new one and on the next road trip of 100 miles the new cable came off twice.
I discovered that where it connects to the accelerator it tends to bend.
So I was able to add a barrel nut on the accelerator end just like at the carburetor.
This seemed to be the only way to get the new cable to stay on.
And YES I did put the cable on correctly.
In fact Dick at Dicks Autohaus said he often welded a small bead on the end just to keep the new cables from coming off.

So keep your eye on the new cable for a while to be sure it stays strong and secure.

Neal F Jarvis
Office Manager
RJ Berra Inc. T/A
Services Unlimited Co.