[T2] Successful roadside accelerator cable replacement

Robert Mann robtmann7 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 5 12:40:30 MST 2013

Neil Jarvis wrote:
>  the newer replacement cables are often of poor quality.
>I replaced my cable with a brand new one and on the next road trip
>of 100 miles the new cable came off twice.

	As advised in my bull on accelerator cable replacement a
couple y ago, yacht-rigging stainless multistrand 1.5 mm is good.
	BTW a comment a couple d back about greasing the new cable is
IMHO mistaken.  As remarked, the factory was so confident in the
lifetime of this cable exceeding that of the vehicle that the Bentley
omits it altogether, so I have no official word on this issue of
greasing it or not.  Anyhow I accept the word of my excellent ex-S.
Africa mechanic. This is NOT a Bowden cable.  It has much larger
clearance between the cable and the tube.  Any attempt at lubrication
is liable to trap dirt and therefore increase friction & wear.  If
you can blow compressed air thru the tube the dust of decades will be
to some extent ejected; if not, all the more reason not to insert any
lubricant.
	Either way, the rubber boot at the front is important against dust.

--
Robt Mann
Whangaparaoa, New Zealand