[T2] Custom fridge sink cabinet combo.

John Anderson wvukidsdoc at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 21 12:57:27 MST 2013

David, that is a thing of beauty, the engine turned door is wonderful.

I'd thought of doing that once in a '74 before, but couldn't come up with a smart way to vent it, being a bit queasy about venting into the wheelwell from both a build up of CO under the wheelwell, and a build up of mud into the vent sense.  I mean CA (and maybe euro) buses even ran the stupid sewer vent up to the roofline in that location.  What did you end up doing?

I have a couple Vanagon dometics, and have though about putting one in the '77 but it just wont quite fit the big cabinet in the late layout, has occurred to me to strip one and install it into the stock icebox, but that would be a big project of course.  I find the Vanagon Dometic to be just fine despite all its rumored woes, just got to keep the burner cleaned out, and resealed with high temp silicone when the seal gets old and dry.  If you haven't done it a CPU cooler on the fins will make a substantial difference in temps for mere mW of power consumption (now I'll hope Robert doesn't yell at me for not characterizing over what time that will be.)

Nice job anyway.  Amazing how nature can solve problems like that BTW.

John

 From: David Kelly <volknstein at yahoo.com>

Here is a little ( BIG) project that I have been tinkering on recently. I took a 67-71 bus Campmobile sink cabinet that I picked up for $50. My dad and I installed a Vanagon fridge unit in it. I used laminate from another trashed early cabinet to refinish the Vanagon front fridge panel. I have it a custom stainless steel clad door and repainted the trim handle and hardware to match that of the early cabinet.