[T2] Standard to Automatic conversion in a '77

mbjeeper at aol.com mbjeeper at aol.com
Tue Aug 20 13:50:16 MST 2013

I am contemplating changing my daughter's '77 from a 4 speed to an automatic for various reasons.  The bus is no longer FI, so the ECM is not a problem.
I have done a huge amount of work to this bus already and it is a known quantity, so I would much rather change it over than sell and start over.  Besides, the standard has a bad synchronizer for 2nd gear (at least), and will need to come out (again) anyway.
I have two of the early automatics (003) but no shift linkage or shifter.  I know that the later autos are better, but if I can find the shifter and related parts for the early box, I am willing to go with it.
I would need the shifter and linkage, the front mount, and the axles.
Ideally, someone reasonably close (within 150 miles of so of Wheeling, WV, ZIP 26003) would have a junk, wrecked, rusted, rolled, and burned '75-up auto bus that they would be willing to part with reasonably so that I could use the parts to convert mine.  If so, please let me know what you have and what you want for it.  I can come and get it with my trailer, so no shipping hassles.
I am a decent fabricator, so I feel confident that I can make the change, providing that I have the parts.  I also have a nice '78 Westfalia Automatic to look at and measure for reference.
Has anyone converted a standard bay to an auto successfully?  If so, I'd appreciate any pointers or observations.

mbjeeper at aol.com
www.250RestoCustoms.com