[T2] My trans woes

Jamie jrivers at globalserve.net
Tue Aug 20 13:38:39 MST 2013

Syd wrote ... the numbers on my trans are 091.301.173..and my bus and motor
are vintage '74.  Is this a '76 to 79 trans? Is this the reason my new Bruck
starter cannot engage the flywheel teeth, if flywheel is stock '74?
Searching for answers, but fear the worst..which is I have to take out the
motor, and install newer bigger 2L flywheel, clutch and pressure plate to
match trans and bellhousing

syd said... "Is this the reason my new Bruck starter cannot engage the
flywheel teeth, if flywheel is stock '74?"
I think so.....
If you have the 091 bellhousing and the 210mm ['74] flywheel,, then the SR15
starter is short..
you can put an 002 bellhousing on then you can use the 210mm flywheel,, and
the SR15 starter..

the trans numbers can decieve you.. as the bellhousing can be changed.... it
is possible to have a 091 trans with an 002 bellhousing
the '74 body came with a 002 bellhousing and 002 trans..
the later bay came with the 091 bellhousing and 091 trans.

the bellhousing numbers are inside .. the engine and the bellhousing have to
come off to see the numbers..
but you can tell from the outside.. as the 002 bellhousing is "thinner" than
the 091

002 bellhousing measures 45 mm where the lower engine stud goes thru
091 bellhousing measures 60 mm where the lower engine stud goes thru

the 002 bellhousing takes the SR15 starter.
the 091 bellhousing takes the SR87 starter.

http://www.globalserve.net/~jrivers/jr/pictures/latebay-starter-comparison.jpg

usually, the 002 bellhousing has a 210 or 215mm flywheel...and a SR15
starter

usually, the 091 bellhousing has a 228mm flywheel and SR87 starter

so it is quite possible to have a 091 trans, a 002 bellhousing, and a 210mm
flywheel with a SR15 starter in a 74 bus..

look at your starter, compare it to the picture linked above,, see the gear
on the starter has teeth, then a collar before the motor body... where as
the SR15 has teeth on the gear right up to the motor body,