[VB] [T2] Improved ride quality

Chris Dreike cdreike at gmail.com
Tue Sep 3 10:07:37 PDT 2019

David,
Thanks for the comments. I have compared my ride height to 3 other
splitties of varying ages and all are at the same height. So I think that
my bus has not sagged. (no guarantee of course with hardware this old)
Having removed the stops and driven around for about 25 miles, I am much
happier with the ride quality. So I have ground off about 3/8" of rubber
from my stops with a wire wheel and I will be reinstalling them today.
Next experiment will be to reduce the front tire pressure to about 22-24
psi. The factory recommends 28 in the front and 32 in the rear.
I hope to report back on that later.
A while back I had a conversation with Peter at Airkewld about the ride
quality. I had asked about removing a torsion leaf to reduce the spring
rate and installing an adjuster to lift the front back up to stock. His
answer was that it is a bad idea to
remove a leaf and to try removing the stops and lowering air pressure. So
that is where I am at right now.

BTW, my modified brake arm makes driving the bus much more delightful.
Please let me know if any of you folks try this and how you like it.

Cheers,
Chris
64DD Kamper Kit
71 Sunroof