[VB] '69 truck work update & dash paint question

Kevin Guarnotta kevin at guarnottadesign.com
Thu Mar 22 08:16:52 PDT 2018

Hi Guys,

I was going to give you all an update on my '69 singlecab that I've been working on for way too long. I think the shop is getting anxious for it to get out of there. I would love to be able to drive it again - would make my work much easier. So this is a mini-summary along with some pointers, and questions.

I am in a combination of putting it back together, and painting/cleaning. The whole front cab area is painted including doors and exterior. The rear still needs to be done. The shop did a ton of work on the rocker panels, and salvaging the body. I'm about to start putting the front together again (dashboard, fix wiring etc.).

WIRING
I wanted to pass along the following source for striped wire - 4rcustomswire.com. They sell striped wire. I just bought a bunch of GXL wire. For those who don't know - I just learned about the different types of wire myself when searching for striped wire.
There appear to be 2 main categories for this type of wire - PVC or Cross linked. (obviously there are a lot more types of wire, but this is the basic stuff that I think we would use on a VW) I'll try to summarize what I learned
PVC GPT - general purpose, good to 80 degrees
PVC TWP - lead free, thin wall, good up to 105 degrees

Cross linked - GXL -thin wall, standard use
Cross linked - SXL - Standard wall
Cross linked - TXL - extra thin wall, lightweight
All cross linked good to 125 degrees.

All temps in Celsius. I was able to get a bunch of GXL striped wire. You can buy it in 5' increments. I probably bought enough to fix all my vow's and have some leftover. I'm surprised no VW vendor has tried to carry this stuff? When you buy it - the price to go from 5' to 25' is minimal. IE $6 for 5' and $9 for 25'. Needless to say I went with 25' for all my orders. I think I am going to be splicing/repairing/cleaning up the wiring in the next couple weeks. A little at a time. I've bought a bunch of heat shrink connectors, and have my ratcheting crimper.

GAS TANK
I was able to pull the tank - thanks for confirming that it can come out the front. I am cleaning out that whole area where it sits. It was very dirty/dusty in there, fairly minimal surface rust. I am scuffing off all the surface rust, then plan on some Master Series primer and paint. It may not be super pretty in there, but will be cleaner, and should no longer rust. Overall fairly solid in there. I notice a couple of the drain hole for this area have little rubber grommets/drain thingy's. I've no idea what they are called, but I'm wondering if these can be replaced? Are there any more out there? Also the connector between the gas filler and the tank is NAPA part number 1055. If anyone needs to replace this. I'm replacing it - while I've got it out. One question on the tank - the fuel tap on the bottom is pretty stuck on there. I want to take it off, and check that it is all clean in there, while I've got the tank out. The thing does not want to turn. I'm trying PB blaster now, and would normally try some heat - but not on a gas tank. I'm worried about putting too much torque on the thing, and the nipple on the tank busting off. Any ideas?

I'm also wondering about the access panels to this area - there were some seals/gaskets there. They were pretty dry rotted out. I was wondering what you guys are using to put here? Any ideas? I can probably get some generic bulb seal to replace the original, but didn't know if someone was making this?

DASHBOARD
So I am going with a 2-tone paint color for the whole truck. Maus grey on bottom, and pearl white on top. (I know it's not original). The body shop painted the metal part of the dashboard the same as the upper body color (white). I recall it was also painted white by the PO. It was a glossy white, and I got a lot of reflection on the windshield while driving. I've got another dash -that appears to be original, and it looks like it is a satin black. I maybe either have him repaint the one he painted, or just take this old one, and paint it satin black. What was this color originally? I'm thinking flat black would get messy real easy, glossy would be a reflection issue. So it should be satin?

OK, that is it for now...more later, and look forward to any tips/suggestions.

-Kevin Guarnotta
Jamaica Plain, MA

'78 Westy
'69 Singlecab