[VB] zinc plating hardware

c.dreike c.dreike at verizon.net
Sun Dec 30 20:46:27 PST 2018

Hi Guys and Gals,

Yesterday I decided to try my hand at zinc plating some of my old
slightly rusty hardware. Works very nicely. The finish is not shiny like
hardware store bolts, but a dull gray as if the hardware is old and
used. After a plating bath, I found that the rust nearly falls off the
hardware on its own or a light brushing with a stainless wire brush
takes it off.

The formula for zinc plating is easy. Here is what you need:

1. A glass or plastic container. for small parts a 16 Oz container is fine.
2. Washing soda, not baking soda. look it up.
3. 5% white vinegar
4. A power source.  Two D batteries wired in series works well.
5. zinc anode. I purchased two small zinc anodes from our local boating
store. About $7 total.
6. tap water.
7. copper wire. anything from 16 to 22 gage is fine.

In a 16 oz glass jar I mixed 6 Oz.  tap water with about a teaspoon or
two of washing soda and about 6 oz. of 5% white vinegar from the grocery
store. Dissolve the washing soda in the water first then add the
vinegar. It will fizz just a bit.

Connect your zinc anodes to the positive side of your batteries.
Clean your parts to remove all dirt, wash with some solvent like alcohol
or acetone.
Connect the negative side to your parts with a small wire.
Dunk the parts into the bath and wait about 5 or 10 minutes.

Look it up on Youtube. Lots of video on this and other metal plating.

My 71 sunroof steering parts are looking pretty good now. I plated all
the nuts and bolts that hold the steering coupler in place as well as
the bolt lockplate for the gearbox flange.

Cheers,