[VB] Camper rebuild

Kevin Guarnotta kevin at guarnottadesign.com
Sun Apr 8 13:55:38 PDT 2018

I rebuilt the cabinets on my '65 kombi - many years ago. I used Baltic Birch to redo all the interior - it was originally an EZ-Camper. Fun albeit challenging project.

As far as routes - if you decide to get one - I'd highly recommend the dewalt palm router. Around $120? Works nicely, and wel designed.

As for jig saw - Bosch. I've got a festool and a bosch. I prefer the bosch.

Cutting - I've heard and tried tips such as the following to help prevent splintering - put painters tape on plywood before cutting, so blade is cutting through tape. This helps prevent splintering.

Also try scoring with a utility knife. Also works well - can be tough to do, but does actually work.

As for jig saw blades - there are a lot out there. I usually go for Bosch, they make some specifically for "Extra clean cuts in wood". The blade does make a difference. I usually buy these online, as they are not always readily available locally. Just do a search for this.

As for table saw blades - Forest and Freud make nice ones.

At one point I posted the drawings for a rebuild of a '65 ez-camper, if you want to go off track and build something not original to your bus.

Good luck.

-Kevin Guarnotta
Jamaica Plain, MA

'78 Westy