[VB] [T2] spring loaded roof rack clamp

Kevin Guarnotta kevin at guarnottadesign.com
Wed Sep 13 04:15:53 PDT 2017

No it was not – I did not know enough to take it apart before galvanizing.

I’ve tried the heat with a propane torch, PB blaster. I also tried wax – I remember someone on the list swearing by using wax. The first one I got it loose, and I could get it to turn almost 90 degrees. I keep wiggling it back and forth. Thought I had got it. Then it snapped. Similar thing happened to 2nd one.

I’m going to talk to some local machine shops about re-making the pieces. I think I’m also going to look at changing the design a little bit. The originals are all round – but it would be nice if there was a chamfer on them, so you could put a wrench on them.

When heating up metal to get it to expand – I didn’t know you were supposed to quench it afterwards? Is that right? Wouldn’t that make the metal very brittle. I thought the idea was to just heat it up a lot.

-Kevin Guarnotta
Jamaica Plain, MA

’78 Westy
'69 Singlecab
'65 Ez-camper

From: Chris [mailto:c.dreike at verizon.net]
Subject: Re: [VB] [T2] spring loaded roof rack clamp

Was the clamp assy taken apart for galvanizing?