[VB] Heater controls?

Kevin Guarnotta kevin at guarnottadesign.com
Fri Nov 3 07:30:56 PDT 2017

Ok - more stuff on my '78 westy. To work on/access the shift rod I removed the big accordion style duct that runs up to the front of the bus. A few questions before I put it back together -

  1.  For my '65 this is a metal tube, I insulated it with come closed cell foam type insulation. Currently the tube on my '78 has no insulation. I was thinking of putting some insulation on it - anyone else done this? Maybe I could replace the tube with a PVC pipe, then put the insulation around that, or just put the insulation around the accordion style duct work.
  2.  Where this flex tube attaches near the front of the bus, the duct work appears to sort of 'Y' off. There are two flaps covering these side ducts, that are spring loaded, and appear as though there should be something attached to the flaps, but I don't see anything there. Anyone know what I'm talking about? I can't find a diagram online to understand how this was supposed to work.
  3.  There is some minor surface rust on some of these pieces/metal duct work. I think I'll clean them up and do a little touch up paint. Hope the smell isn't too bad when I run the heat.

-Kevin Guarnotta
Jamaica Plain, MA

'78 Westy
'69 Singlecab